Here’s the latest on what’s happening around the CrossFit Community:
- The first Sanctional season officially came to a close in France this past Sunday ending a 7 month battle for individuals and teams to earn their spot to the Crossfit Games. Ben Smith, the only athlete to have 10 consecutive individual Games appearances, has not qualified (he is coming back from knee surgery this winter). Many are rallying for him to earn one of the “blow hard” wild card invites – do you think he deserves it?
- Several more athletes have tested positive for banned substances and most notably was Crossfit Mayhem Independence Team member Elly Kabboord. Kabboord’s positive test got the community up in arms because she has trained with Rich Froning for years and is adamant about the fact that she must have ingested tainted supplements or food (a claim several other athletes have made as well). She is currently having her supplements tested and appealing her 4-year sanction.
- It has been confirmed that there will be a way to watch the 2019 Games this summer which begin on August 1st! Crossfit will be streaming the Games live through a world feed. Don’t expect all of the theatrics of previous Games broadcasts, but this feed will give anyone the chance to commentate or create whatever Games story or production they choose. Click here for more information.
- Some “Fun” Stuff: Mat Fraser just released his own shoe, the Nike Metcon 5 MF. Tia-Clair Toomey and Katrin Davidsdottir both ended their contract with Reebok. Davidsdottir is now a NOBULL athlete. Dave Castro got a new puppy; a female Dogo Argentino named “Doug.” Check out “dougthedogo” on Instagram to follow all the cuteness. Stacie Tovar gave birth to a baby boy, Gavin George. Ben Smith is listed as an alternate on Rich Froning’s Crossfit Mayhem Freedom team for the Games this summer.
And a few highlights from our own CFMY community:
- Meg B crushed it at the Asbury Park Summer Games, which will be a sanctioned event next year. She and her team placed 7th our of 40 teams in the Women’s RX division, raking in first and second place event finishes.
- Congrats to Lizzy for finally hitting her 100# snatch – a goal she’s been relentlessly chasing!
- Love is in the air! Cheers to several of our members for recently getting engaged – Rachel and Justin, as well as Bree!